nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Plum Pollenation Question

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Plum Pollenation Question
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 10:33:23 -0700

The proof of the pollination is in the plum - how's your production?

I've always had heavy-bearing plums when a pollinator was available. Very
heavy-bearing - I never bothered with bird protection, they just didn't make
a dent. I don't recalling checking the bee activity.

Whatever the mystery plums are on our new property, they only bloomed for
one day. There are a few plums, not enough to net, so I think the birds
will be happy.

BTW, now that honeybee numbers are down, I note many more bee varieties in
our blossoms. The other day I noticed, in a quick glance, half a dozen bees
in the orange tree, with four species represented in the six. Maybe that's
more normal than I think - I grew up in a home with a honeybee hive, and the
neighborhood was rich with our bees - I may expect them to be more plentiful
than they are...

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate