nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plum Pollenation Question

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum Pollenation Question
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 09:31:46 EDT

Jim, I also have plums and black currants. I see many bees in the plum blooms, but I have mason bees. They are very good for early blooming trees, they get out and work when honey bees just won't do it. I also have a lot of bumblebees. They are really the best if the pollinators. BTW, black currants are mostly self pollinated, there has been mention that you need two varieties, but I doubt that. There may be a very few varieties that need cross pollination, but most don't.

Ed Mashburn
PA Zone 5/6
Where we really need rain