nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple Seedling With 3 Cotelydons

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple Seedling With 3 Cotelydons
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 08:56:21 -0700

The number of cotyledons isn't an indication of the chromosome number, though the plant description sounds like it might be a polyploid of some sort.
It's interesting to note that Luther Burbank claimed that seedlings with the largest leaves, best vigor, etc. were the ones that had the best fruit. You might graft some of your seedling on a dwarf stock like M26 to get it into bearing sooner, to find out.
-Lon Rombough