nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Clove Currant and Autumn Olive ID Help

  • From: athagan@atlantic.net
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Clove Currant and Autumn Olive ID Help
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 13:04:34 -0400

Would anyone happen to know of a corresponding book that covers the
Eastern half of the continent? I'd really like to have something
like that.

Thanks!

.....Alan.

Quoting "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>:

> Here's a review of a book that will help:
>
> Wild Berries of the West by Betty B. Derig and Margaret C. Fuller.
> 235 pages, soft bound, copyright 2001, Mountain Press Publishing
> Co., P.O. Box 2399, Missoula, MT
> 59806, Ph: 406 728-1900. ISBN 0-87842-433-4. $16.00.
>
> The title of this book makes it sound fairly simple and
> straightforward, but Wild Berries of the West is much more useful
> than it sounds. There is an impressive number of species in the
> book, because it covers a wide range of western environments. Even
> with having taken university classes in flora of the west, there
> were many plants in this book I wasnÕt familiar with, or if I knew
> them, I wasnÕt aware that they had edible fruit.
> The book doesnÕt just list edible fruits, either. It rates the
> qualities of the fruits, letting you know if the fruit is good to
> eat fresh, merely edible, but not very tasty, or if it needs
> cooking or extensive preparation to even make it edible. For the
> best fruits, there is even a section of recipes. At the same time,
> poisonous berries are well noted, so the user can avoid them.
> Descriptions are not technical or particularly difficult to
> understand, especially if you have any experience with plants at
> all, and most of the plants are illustrated with very good
> color photos.
> Gardeners and people interested in ornamental plants will find
> value in the book too, because many of the plants have notes about
> their value in wild gardens, or in the landscape. Readers may be
> surprised to discover native landscape plants theyÕve had
> for years are also sources of edible fruit.
> Wild Berries of the West makes it fun to learn about fruits that
> are new or different. A lot of them arenÕt going to win over many
> palates, but some have enough good qualities to make them well
worth
> exploring further, and this book is a good aid for that.
>
> Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at
> http://www.bunchgrapes.com Winner of the Garden Writers
> Association
> "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
> On May 11, 2005, at 7:28 AM, Thomas Olenio wrote:

This message was sent through Atlantic.Net Webmail.

Sick of pop-up ads and climbing prices?

Visit www.atlantic.net to get pure Internet for $19.95/mo.