nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Waste

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Waste
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 00:28:33 EDT

In a message dated 4/17/2005 9:45:05 AM US Eastern Standard Time, tolenio@sentex.net writes:

Waste is waste, whether you see the smoke or it moulders underground for millions of years

.

I predict, but none of us will be around to see if I'm wrong, that at some point (far less than a million years) in the future these land fills will be mined for the rare and precious metals and other materials that are in them. Technology will be such and the market values high enough that mining landfills will be profitable. They will be excavated, trucked to a processing plant for separation of metals, in the reverse order as now being done.

In this area of Indiana there are many vacated coal strip mines. Some of these are being underlain with plastic. KR Drenth Trucking sends many many trucks to this area with garbage from New Jersey and other eastern states every day. On my last trip to the land fill two weeks ago in a half hours time I saw 14 KR Drenth tractor trailer garbage trucks at the land fill. This goes on every day of every week. My guess is when Indiana is out of areas suitable for landfills just as the eastern states are now, garbage will be hauled further west.

On a recent drive to Indianapolis I counted the KR Drenth trucks on west bound I-70 and computed if the same number were in every 60 mile segment there would be about 250 trucks on the road headed to Indiana loaded with garbage every day.

There was a local environmental group that tried to stop the garbage being hauled into Indiana but were told to stop it would violate Federal Interstate Commerce laws. If they set up road blocks to stop the trucks federal laws would be broken, The Feds would step in, hello jail time.

The State Legislature cannot stop it. As I recall we can't even tax the trucks.

Moulders underground? I love it. :-)

Jerry

PS. I'm not picking on you good folks from the state of NJ.

  • Re: [NAFEX] Waste, Jwlehman, 04/18/2005