nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Amphibian Decline

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Amphibian Decline
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 04:17:44 -0500

Ginda,

I always wondered about the role of disease in the disappearance of my
Golden Toads. The area I lived in in Costa Rica was visited by thousands of
biologists over the years, many of whom collected herps and other biological
material from all over the country. Perhaps one of them introduced a
disease from some other amphibian population. It seems odd, though, that a
disease would completely overwhelm a species--if an animal is susceptible to
a disease aren't there usually at least a few resistant ones in a
population?

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI