nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Amphibian Decline

  • From: rob hamilton <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Amphibian Decline
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 07:30:43 -0700 (PDT)

Another thing to add in the mix maybe some kind of
pathogen. Last week I went on a mushroom hunting
hike. The person who lead the hike of my group was a
Dr. David Porter of UGA. During the hike, we got to
talking his research. Apparently, he is studing a
fungus that has infected and killed a number of frogs.
This fungus attaches the skin of the frog and inhabits
the skins gas exchange which is part of how the frog
breaths. I got the impression this was mostly warm
weather or tropical frogs, but he did state that
problem was very wide spread. I may be able to reach
him if anyone wants the look at some of the research.

Robert

Southern Fruit Fellowship (SFF)
www.NAFEX.org/SFF
Southeastern Palm and Exotic Plant Society (SPEPS) www.SPEPS.net