nafex - [NAFEX] Re:Lime/Amphibian decline

  • From: Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re:Lime/Amphibian decline
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:37:16 -0400

It is common practice to check fish ponds here in the South to insure that the pH isn't too low. I add tons of lime to my 3 acre pond every few years. It takes a lot of lime to show any appreciable rise in pH and some people says it is an exercise in futility.
I hear only one or two bullfrogs (Rana catesbelana)every year. Fifty years ago we could harvest enough for a meal. Nowadays, frog gigs, a commonly sold hardware/sporting good store item, are hard to find.
I have always suspected that surfactants/detergents/wetting agents/surface tension depressants/emulsifiers inadvertently left on eating implements, dishes and cookware are involved somehow in causing coronary artery disease in humans. They are powerful reagents and just don't belong in a living organism; except for those that the organism's body makes for a specific purpose.
Doc Lisenby