nafex - [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 27, Issue 20

  • From: Jason MacArthur <rotread@localnet.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 27, Issue 20
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:31:08 -0400

Help! I just received some apple trees in the mail from a nursery in California which are starting to leaf out already. The soil here is thawed but still quite muddy- is it better to plant trees in wet soil or to hold them once they have leafed out? Is it that critical either way? I will be digging with a shovel so I can be careful, but I will definitely impact soil structure for the worse, and risk leaving the tree stuck in a compacted "pot" in the ground. Any experienced apple growers out there with any suggestions?

Jason MacArthur
zone 4
Marlboro, Vt