nafex - Re: [NAFEX] squirrels & cats & rabbits

  • From: JoanRRosenberg@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] squirrels & cats & rabbits
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 20:35:51 EDT

The surest way to find hunters is to adopt from Alley Cat Allies or a similar group which relocates spayed/neutered outdoor ferals to new homes.   They are not person friendly, but they do territory patrol.  Cats have to learn how to hunt.  To chase is instinct; to select prey, hunt and kill is learned.

I have watched one cat teach another in my yard.  Not all of them want to learn.  Those that want to learn, do.  Domestic cats have fewer hunters among them.  Cats which have at least one semi-feral parent seem to have more interest.