nafex - Re: [NAFEX] squirrels & cats & rabbits

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] squirrels & cats & rabbits
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:00:53 -0400

Hi Tany,
I have seen more than one cat bringing home a wild rabbit larger than
themselves which they drag between their front legs with their teeth. A
neighbour brought a small dog last year (a pure bred small sausage type full
grown, brown and black, long ears, close to the ground, longer than high,
forgot what they are called). We just happened to notice before it actually
was attacked. The owner managed to call his expensive dog and put him in his
truck before it got attacked by one sweet small cat which is amongst the
most friendly of our bunch. Maybe the dog looked edible. We do feed our cats
twice a day (12 last count) and they get a supplement of warm milk when it
is particularly cold. They have a warm shelter where they huddle together
when it is cold. They do wonder to protect the young apple trees against
rodents.
I really appreciate their help as I remember how discouraging it was every
Spring, finding out the extent of the damage done.
I have just been inspecting my trees today and there is no mice damage this
year. But believe me the rodents are quite numerous and it takes more than
one cat to do the job. I saw rodent holes here and there and it is obvious
how many there are.
We just caught two cats with a humane trap recently to give to some friends
who were going crazy with mice problems since they lost a very efficient
mouser, their pride and joy.
Hélène, where snow is slowly disappearing.