nafex - [NAFEX] talk by Lee Reich this October

  • From: lee reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] talk by Lee Reich this October
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:19:30 -0500

Here are the two presentations that I will be giving at Olbrich Gardens in Madison,WI on October 9th and 10th, 2005, each day at 6:30 pm...

POMONA'S SECRETS: HARDY, DELECTABLE, PEST-FREE FRUITS: Meet some fruits, such as shipova, medlar, Nanking cherry, and lingonberry, that are not well-known, but have delectable flavors and are easy to grow and cold-hardy. The fruits covered are generally free of pest problems, so can be grown without spraying. Many require no more than a little, or no, pruning. And if that's not enough: some of the fruits covered—hardy kiwifruit, juneberry, and cornelian cherry, for example—are borne on ornamental plants so are perfect for "edible landscaping."

SPECIAL PRUNING TECHNIQUES: A slide lecture about pleaching, pollarding, and creating standards and espaliers. These four pruning techniques make a bold statement in the landscape and have a practical side as well. We will cover the ornamental and practical uses of these techniques, the steps involved in creating them, and the plants appropriate for such techniques.

Hope to see you there.

Lee

Lee Reich, PhD
www.leereich.com