nafex - [NAFEX] Mulberries, vegetative propagation

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mulberries, vegetative propagation
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:02:25 -0600

At 10:23 PM 2/16/2005 -0600, Donna wrote:
Someone, maybe Lucky, once assured me that softwood cuttings of mulberry were very
easy to root.

Mulberries, being 'cousins' of the fig, should be relatively easy to propagate from cuttings. I've had some success doing so, but I'm thinking my biggest problem, with dormant-collected cuttings, was not using cuttings of sufficient caliper. I suspect that 1/2 to 3/4 inch or larger cuttings are going to hold the best promise for successful rooting.

Semi-hardwood cuttings, collected (here) and struck in mid-late July have been fairly easy to root; I usually leave only a couple of leaves - and cut half the leaf off, and tent the pot I'm rooting them in to diminish evaporative losses.

My understanding - and personal experience has borne this out to some extent - is that M.rubra is more difficult to propagate from cuttings than is M.alba or the hybrids.

Grafting - I've done all sorts of grafts - whip & tongue, simple whip, cleft, bark grafts. All have been reasonably successful, though I've probably had best success with cleft grafts and bark grafts.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY