nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Mulberries, vegetative propagation

  • From: "Dave Griffin" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Mulberries, vegetative propagation
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:32:14 -0600

I stuck some dormant cuttings of this long-budded mystery mulberry for a
friend last spring . Dipped and callused them with bottom heat like grapes
and planted them directly in the ground in spring. Everything leafed out
and grew a little in our cool wet spring but new growth gradually faded
through the summer on 60 - 70% despite my clinically obsessive watering
behavior. Half inch and better cuttings did much better than smaller ones.
Those that survived slowed way down toward the end of the year but made it
to senescence. I won't know what the roots look like until I dig them this
spring.

Dave
central MN
dynamite digging conditions now