nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry ID,winter buds

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: griffingardens@earthlink.net, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry ID,winter buds
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:55:43 -0600

At 11:53 PM 2/17/2005 -0600, you wrote:
Lucky etc,
I got me lots of bacon but I was runnin low on flour and beans so I went
to town today and looked at them mulberry buds too. They are pretty
consistently 6-7 mm long with none as short as 5 mm. Dare I call this one
rubra now without fear of contradiction from the town slicks?

Dave,
Let me get back to you on that one. I've never measured buds, but I've got a couple of M.rubra selections grafted & growing at the house, as well as a few wild ones on the farm. Plenty of M.alba here in town, and I've got at least one M.alba (Oscar's) grafted & growing in the orchard. I'll compare buds between the two species and the hybrids this weekend and see if I agree with the measurement thingy.

Louis L. "Lucky" Pittman, Jr., DVM
Veterinary Pathologist/ Dept. Chairman
Murray St. Univ.-Breathitt Veterinary Ctr.
Hopkinsville, KY