nafex - [NAFEX] Mulberries, invasive?

  • From: "kieran or donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mulberries, invasive?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:23:19 -0600

I thought that M. alba was borderline hardy here in Z6, so it seems unlikely
that it would grow further north. Perhaps the native rubras do especially
well around the edge of the prairies? That would make them invasive where
Dave is, but not here where they have to compete with other trees and the
soil is not so good. Just a thought.
Helene, I would definitely get seeds, plenty of them to hedge your bets that
you will get something as hardy as the original tree. Also, if you are
there in summer to gather fruit for seeds, also take cuttings. Someone,
maybe Lucky, once assured me that softwood cuttings of mulberry were very
easy to root. Good luck! Donna