nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Web Site & Blueberries

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Web Site & Blueberries
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 13:03:57 -0500

One blueberry I'm excited about trying is "Little Giant". From the description, it has small berries like a wild plant or Rubel, but is productive (in lbs of fruit, not number of berries) like a modern large-fruited cultivar. I really prefer smaller berries, since (1) they work better in pancakes and muffins and (2) they generally taste better. Most of the flavor compounds (and antioxidants) are in the skin. They advertise this one as being extremely high in antioxidants.

I ordered a couple from Hartmann. I bought one last year, but I bought it late in the season. They shipped me the wrong plant. (Carefully labeled, with a similar name.) They corrected the order, but by then it was so late that the plant couldn't get established before the summer dry weather. (Those of us who water occasionally are impressed by those of you who water every day. Usually the spring and fall rains are good enough for me, though.) I was very excited to find Hartmann, as they have a wide variety, and they are east of the Rockies. I worry both about sudden oak death and difficult travel conditions when ordering from west-coast nurseries. Hartmann treated me very well for a new customer with a tiny order.

I'm really not sure where I will put all the new blueberries. I have one prepared spot, and some other land which might get enough sun, but might suffer from fierce root competition of the nearby oaks. Oh well, we'll see how it goes. I may just tuck the extras out of the way, somewhere. I find that blueberries survive (but don't fruit or thrive) in very poor conditions. Why do I bother? Because I've learned that cultivars go on and off the market, and a surviving plant in the shade might be the best replacement for a lost bush in a couple of years.

Cheers,
Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6