nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hybrid vs OP vigor - OT tangent

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hybrid vs OP vigor - OT tangent
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:40:30 -0800 (PST)

Yes, it's "of topic" (as opposed to "off topic"), as
much as fruit exploring is about examining variations
in individuals grown from seed. And I was due for a
refresher course in genetics.

As I've read these strings, I've been wondering what
other listservs might host more of these topics. Does
anyone know of other lists? Can you post addresses,
websites? Thanks

--- rob hamilton <> wrote:

> This might be a little of topic, but I always
> wondered
> how genetics worked in self fertile plants. If a
> plant is pollinated by the itself would that mean
> that
> its childeren are clones of its parent, or would
> this
> just allow recessive genes to be expressed?
>

> --- Philip Stewart <> wrote:
>
> > Part of hybrid vigor is a high level of
> > heterozygosity, something no seed-propagated plant
> > that has been "fixed" can ever have much of. That
> > said, there's no reason highly homozygous
plants...