nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hybrid - hybridizers' lists

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hybrid - hybridizers' lists
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:04:19 -0800

Yahoo groups has one called amateur plant breeders with 33 members, but only one message since last spring.

I used to belong to a different Yahoo one called Hybrid which has disappeared. I have saved a number of the messages. One long one in 2002 was by Andrew L Reed who began hybridizing brassicas about 1998 - he mentions all the variations he got from kohlrabi x kale and also red mustard x Chinese cabbage.

Someone else was developing perennial sunflowers.

I was writing about hybrids of the giant lobelias that grow on mountains in Tanzania and Chile.

As you can see, once we had all introduced ourselves, there wasn't much in common, so the groups failed.

Hybridizing groups are more long-lasting if the members are hybridizing the same kind of plants. As an example, I have seen frequent messages about hellebore hybridizing on the Garden Web Hellebore forum.

The Garden Web hybridizing forum includes fruit breeding messages by some familiar NAFEX names. This online forum works better than an emailed list, because the messages stay there and are easily read and answered.

Before the internet, there were mail "Round Robins". One member of one on hybridizing irises, kept track of all the data and published a book - quite a large one, that I frequently borrowed from our public library.

Diane Whitehead