nafex - Re: [NAFEX] contender peach scion wood

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] contender peach scion wood
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:48:46 -0600

You can do easy patent searches here:

http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html

I searched for "peach" AND "contender" and found several crosses using
'Contender' as a parent. One from a patented selection 'China Pearl', had
the following information.

"The new and distinct variety of peach (Prunus persica (L.) Batsch)
originated as a first generation descendant from a hand pollinated cross of
`Contender` peach (non-patented).times.`Plant Introduction (PI) 134401` made
in 1988 at the Sandhills Research Station at Jackson Springs, N.C.
`Contender` was released and named as a peach cultivar by the North Carolina
Agricultural Research Service in 1987, and is available in commerce."

So 'Contender' does not appear to be patented. However, I don't know of a
source.

Hal