nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Seed Request

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Seed Request
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:24:00 -0500

On Jan 26, 2005, at 7:29 AM, fuwa fuwa usagi wrote:

My experience has been that "hybrid vigor" is not a myth.  I believe the original poster indicated this is a commercial venture and I thought he mentioned this pepper was a hybrid.  Therefore it "may" be impractical to attempt to OP the hybrid.   Years back I stabalized several Tomatoe varieties, and while they gave me the results I wanted on a personal level I did not  agreat loss in vigor.

It's not a myth; but there are many varieties of open-pollinated peppers and tomatoes that do have good vigor. Some hybrid varietes seem to be harder to develop a good OP from than others. I've had some success so far with Orobelle (gold ripening sweet bell pepper), though not ready to put it out except for trial.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly