nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Fruit Seed Request

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Fruit Seed Request
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:39:35 -0600

Title: RE: [NAFEX] Fruit Seed Request

Jim, at http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/85987, there is a message that describes Jingle Bells as "1992 miniature bell pepper developed by Petoseed (Seminis).  Available at Willhite."

Willhite Seeds Inc. is at http://www.willhiteseed.com.  I checked their on-line catalog and it appears they no longer list Jingle Bells.  However, you might contact them directly and ask whether they have any remainder seed they'd be willing to sell.  Properly dehydrated pepper seed can be stored a number of years in sealed containers in a deep freeze.

It seems that you should be able to find out what alternative cultivar, if any, Seminis is recommending people grow in the place of Jingle Bells.  They should also be able to tell you which wholesalers are selling seed of Jingle Bells, if any.

An interesting story by our own Doreen Howard about early-coloring bell peppers for Mother Earth News is at http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1279/is_2003_Feb-March/ai_97174858.

Finally, you might consider Yellow Baby or Red Baby as an alternative to Jingle Bells.  At http://www.culinary-yours.com/pepperguide.html, they are described as "A sweet, thick fleshed miniature red (or yellow) bell pepper for trhe miniature veg market.  Smaller and much sweeter than Jingle Bells.  Fruit holds well at maturity."  Unfortunately, these two varieties produce fruit smaller than Jingle Bells. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.