nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Seed Request

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Seed Request
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:53:31 -0600

Jim, my advice, since you have a knack for breeding, is to de-hybridize the
pepper. This, as you probably know, means breeding an open-pollinated variety
by
selecting the seed back to a stable line exhibiting the features you wish to
keep. Takes a few years, 7-10 is a good bet, but it can be done in most
situations. That way you would have the seed to save no matter what! I think
you
are experiencing the bottle necking that has occured since Seminis bought up
most
of the veggie seed businesses in the US. They dropped a number of items from
their aquisitions and residual supply dwindles and many fine varieties have
bit
the dust. Keep searching, and I would suggest an edition of Cornucopia by
Stephen
Facciola. Listings of all hybrid and op varieties of veggies listed in the
US, as
well as I think Seed Saver's Exchange does something like that every few
years,
but I think it is only OP's they list.
Good luck,
Heron

On Tue Jan 25 9:40 , Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net> sent:

> My farm only grows and sells fruit, and, though the debate continues,
>some say bell peppers are vegetables. I say they are 'fruit.'
> Anyway, I have been selling "Jingle Bell Peppers" for years with sales
>therefrom being an integral part of my livelihood. Jingle Bells are 1/3 the
>size of ordinary bells, are very prolific and seem to ripen almost as fast
>as they put on. Here in North-Central Minnesota, other bell pepper plants
>produce a single fruit that takes most of the growing season to ripen.
> Unfortunately for me, I am now experiencing difficulty in finding/buying
>the (hybrid) seed. One by one, the seed retailers who used to sell the seed
>stop selling it. So far, they all refused to tell me who had been supplying
>them. One such company did inform me that the seed is being marketed to
>European customers.
> I have enough seed on hand for planting this year and next. Does anyone
>know who produces the seed or who will be selling it.
>Thanks,
>Jim Fruth
>Pequot Lakes, MN

change other email options):