nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Meader Persimmon??

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Meader Persimmon??
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:36:38 -0600

At 10:27 PM 1/20/2005 -0500, Jerry wrote:

Persimmon like heat. I'd say zone 4 a has two strikes against it. 1. Too short a growing season and 2. summers too cool.

One of the very earliest persimmon is Juhl. Another very early one is from the Claypool breeding work, H-118. Meader is mid to late here in the Midwest and I doubt very much if your season is long enough there. No experience with NC-10 here.

I have no indication either are parthenocarpic so recommend you should also get a male.

I've had NC-10 grafted & growing here in southern KY  since '96 - still waiting for it to fruit.
I've got one local native selection that has been dropping its first ripe fruits around September 1st  each of the three years I've been watching it.  Might be a candidate for an early variety?

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY