nafex - RE: [NAFEX] 1000 fruit trees in pots

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] 1000 fruit trees in pots
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:30:23 -0600

Wow - where do you keep them?
I take it you're trying to develop some new varieties?

Some of the plants are potted because I use them for breeding, and can bring them out of storage when I am ready. Other plants are potted because they are too tender to grow in my climate, such as peaches. Finally, some are in pots because the grasshopper infestation has been such a problem that I was too scared to plant them out in the field this year!

These are all in an insulated garage, with a 220v electric heater. I don't let the temperature go below about -5C/25F, to protect the roots from damage.

Dean Kreutzer
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
USDA zone 3