nafex - [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 23, Issue 23

  • From: Rondi Anderson <nafex@mokalive.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 23, Issue 23
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:22:06 -0600

Subject: [NAFEX] freezer storage ofsweet cherries and peaches

Mike wrote: I'm interested in what keeps the longest and still tastes good.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do with about 5 gallon of frozen sweet
cherries ? Unfortunately they also still contain pits. My husbands idea; he
said his mom canned them with out pitting them. We are going to invest in a
pitter and dry them next year. Any recommendations on a cherry pitter that
is easy t
o use ?
Make jam!

I have the same problem about how and when to use preserved fruit. Part of
our problem is I still don't know how to use the fruit after it has been
preserved, especially the cherries. And until I figure that out I dont know
how or in what package size to prepare the fruit for storage.

My mom would always can sweet cherries with the seeds. We would eat them out of the jar as an afternoon snack after school or in the evening as dessert. The seeds didn't bother us and we'd put them in a napkin.

thanks ,
Dianne Stephany
zone 5, western NY

This is a little late, but thought I'd respond anyway.

Rondi

  • [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 23, Issue 23, Rondi Anderson, 01/17/2005