nafex - [nafex] an "online store" offer to the nafex community

  • From: Stefan Brandle <sbrandle@css.tayloru.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] an "online store" offer to the nafex community
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:23:25 -0500

Please forgive a one-time somewhat "off the mailing list focus" email. I gain nothing personally and am bringing it up as a service to the NAFEX community.

Taylor University's computer science department has an e-commerce class that needs projects. While helping the person who currently teaches the class (I used to, so he was asking for ideas) it dawned on me that there might be people out there in NAFEX country who would like to take their small business online, if only it weren't so complicated and expensive. I have some ideas for you.

I recently took our campus bookstore online through Yahoo!stores. It works really well and is easy to run. The bottom line is that for $40 a month plus a small percentage of sales, Yahoo gives you a really great store application that you can run if you understand the business. You don't really need to know anything about web programming and all that stuff. It is helpful if someone who has already played with the Yahoo store program can help you get started. My idea is to have sets of supervised computer science and business students help you get started. You pay them nothing; they are interested because their grade is on the line :-), because they want to learn about e-commerce, and because they would rather do a real project than a throw-away fake project that nobody really cares about.

If you think you would be interested in at least talking about it, send me some email.

-- sb
Stefan Brandle, Taylor University IT/CSS, 765-998-5504
sbrandle@css.taylor.edu, www.css.taylor.edu/~sbrandle

  • [nafex] an "online store" offer to the nafex community, Stefan Brandle, 01/17/2005