nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Peaches

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Peaches
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 08:50:08 -0600

I haven't been following this thread closely so Siberian C may have been mentioned already and we've discussed them a number of times before, but I just wanted to pipe up that here in zone 4 southwest WI they've made it thru -30F several winters in a row with no visible damage. Our last frost here is end of May (earlier than you) & first fall frost is the same, about the beginning of Oct.

The seedling I got from Bear Creek before they went under all produced copious amounts of fruit in their 3rd year. About 25% were good for eating out of hand (if you weren't expecting a Georgia peach) & the rest made wonderful wine & peach nectar.

Last year they didn't produce all that well because we had way too much rain during flowering & my apples, peaches & plums had horrible pollination rates.

mIEKAL