nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Peaches

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@containerseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Peaches
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 09:17:16 -0500

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 08:00:31 -0600, you wrote:

> Pat, I've already got that - two out of three anyway (a. and c.). My
>problem is that I just don't have enough land to do the optimal research
>project. It was enough space for my black raspberry project but peaches
>require alot more room. My peach is a real curiosity in that some of the
>fruit is borne on spurs as well as on new wood.
> Potential customers are practically beating my door down to buy a tree
>or more but I don't sell any until I'm sure they'll survive the winter. I'd
>like to keep as many as possible because every subsequent generation has a
>better survival rate but not all have the characteristics I seek.

Well, let me know if you get a peach that I can use, please,
and if you have extras.

We have seen -26 F here in winter, several times. Last
frost can be in late June. First frost is around October 1.

We live in Pennsylvania, for heaven's sake! But in
northcentral PA, in the Appalachians, and it's a much colder
place than most people would ordinarily think of in
connection with Pennsylvania. I myself didn't quite realize
until moving here four years ago that it would be this cool
and have this short a frost-free season. The pay-off, of
course, is pleasant summers that aren't usually excessively
hot.

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and
edible flower seeds for successful container growing.