nafex - [NAFEX] topworking actinidia to males?

  • From: Stefan Brandle <sbrandle@css.tayloru.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] topworking actinidia to males?
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:08:54 -0500

Speaking of topworking ginkos, can I "topwork" kiwis to males? My lone male (the other "male" appears to be female) isn't quite as vigorous as the harem and hasn't flowered yet. I've read that this is not unusual, but I got to thinking . . .

Any thoughts on whether I could topwork some cuttings from the male onto the females to get a female plant with one or more male branches/canes?

If it does work, would grafting onto part of a plant with more biomass speed up flowing?

It it does work, and given what I've heard of actinidia's "weak pollinator" reputation, would it make sense to topwork some male branches throughout the arbor?

-- sb
Zone 5b, where it suddenly remembered that it is supposed to get cold in
December.