nafex - RE: [NAFEX] topworking actinidia to males?

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] topworking actinidia to males?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:29:39 -0800

I asked Kiwibob to comment on the original question. Here is his
response:
Yes it is possible, works very well, but may not be desirable! I trust
that in Zone 5 the person is speaking of A. arguta. If they graft, cut
scionwood in January & keep in a ziploc bag in the refrigerator until
the host female has leafed-out in Spring and all chance of frost is
past. Graft high on the host to this year's growth (same age as the
scion) and train it to become a main cordon.

Downsides: It really complicates the pruning unless done as a main
cordon in the opposite direction of the female main cordon! Grafts in
certain microclimates are susceptible to die-back in bad winters to the
graft union, then all effort is lost! As a rule, I advise against
grafting any Actinidia except to introduce a new species until cuttings
can be rooted.

Happy Growing, Kiwibob