nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Quince for fresh eating?

  • From: Lon Rombough <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Quince for fresh eating?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:52:26 -0800

I don't have that variety, but I do have a collection of others that are supposed to be good to eat fresh. If the ones you picked still had any green, they weren't fully ripe. They should be solid golden-yellow to be fully ripe. That has been standard on every quince I've tried. Most people pick them too green. They must be essentially dead ripe to be at their best. Smyrna has been the most consistent of my quinces, at least in part because it ripens early enough to get thoroughly ripe so it can be as tender as possible. After that, leave it in the refrigerator for three weeks or so and it's edible raw.
-Lon Rombough