nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Quince for fresh eating?

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Quince for fresh eating?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:43:40 -0800

I picked some Aromatnaya quince for the first time this year (on a farm,
not my own trees). The quince had a mostly yellow color with patches of
golden yellow and a little light green. We were told that they were
ripe. After sitting at room temp for 2 weeks, I cut them up for
preserves. They were very tough. Quite a workout getting them peeled
and cut-up. I can't imagine trying to eat a whole one of these fresh.
I know my jaw would get worn out. They had the dense texture of raw
winter squash. After canning and sitting on the shelf for a couple
months, the quince preserves are soft and fragrant... a big improvement
over the fresh fruit. The juice left in the jars after removing the
preserves is an outstanding addition to smoothies.

Maybe the fresh-eating quality of Aromatnaya improves the longer the
fruit stays on the tree. Any comments from those more experienced?
-Mark Lee, Seattle zone 8a