nafex - [NAFEX] Freezing sweet cherries

  • From: Ray Kaminski <rjkaminski@charter.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Freezing sweet cherries
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:43:43 -0600

Michelle:
Here is the method of preserving sweet cherries that we have
used for perhaps the last ten years. We are very fortunate to have about 5 different types available grown locally and do not find any difference in the end result.
We usually pick into the 5 quart ice cream pails and these could be both dark type or yellow ones. Once home they are washed in a large container, one pail at a time. (The dark ones are soaked longer cause the black picnic beatles are hard to see on them, but they come off in the water and swim on top). After washing placing them place on clean dry towels, use another towel over the top to dry pretty well. Put them back into the ice cream pail, filling to the top without adding anything, put into the freezer and you are done. They stay hard and loose like marbles in a bag. When you are ready to eat, open container and take out as many as you want cause they do not stick to each other and are totally separated if you dried them good initially.
I generally take out a good handful in the morning place them into a covered bowl and at lunchtime, they have thawed and ready to eat.
Do do not hold their total roundness that you had on the tree but also find that they are perhaps about 90 per cent as sweet as from the tree. When they thaw in the bowl a little juice will be on the bottom and that can be your sweetener for the next days cereal breakfast. Do not understand why they would turn any other color as we have never experienced this. Perhaps some else has the explanation. Ray