nafex - [NAFEX] Cherry Wine

  • From: Don Yellman <don.yellman@webformation.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cherry Wine
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:45:22 -0500

Michelle:

I have made wine with sour cherries several times over the years, and it is
quite good. Very fruity. No need to pit the cherries for this product. I
used nearly pure cherry juice, starting with over 5 gallons bulk ripe
cherries, straining out skins and stones after primary fermentation, then
topping up a 5-gallon carboy with less than one gallon water. Leave plenty
of space in your primary fermenter as the cherries will foam quite a bit
initially. I used ten pounds granulated sugar per carboy, and champagne
yeast. This will produce a moderately sweet wine of about 13-15% alcohol.
It is ready to drink or bottle at about 3-4 months, after it has settled out
to a clear dark ruby color.

I don't think sweet cherries would have quite the character and flavor to
carry through in wine as do sour cherries.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA
--
Please note that my email address has changed. It is now
don.yellman@webformation.com