nafex - [NAFEX] freezing sweet cherries

  • From: "Dianne Stephany" <iluvdanc@rochester.rr.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] freezing sweet cherries
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:43:50 -0500

thanks to everyone who replied about my frozen cherry problem..

They are Ranier cherries- a golden sweet cherry with a little pink blush to them.  And I agree, at least so far, that the taste is too fragile to make it through freezing. Although I will try Ray's method of freezing next summer. Could the difference have been between freezer bag and ice cream pail ? or sugar vs no sugar?  and as I write this I remembered that we had a power outage that lasted almost one day since freezing them.

  My husband doesn't like cherry jam or jelly, and I'm not sure these even fresh would have enough flavor to make a good jelly.  I wouldn't waste the sugar on the already frozen ones.  They may make it out to the compost bin; Gary has tried eating them after just thawing - but they taste about the way they look- grey.

Drying sounds the way to go-- it would also intensify the flavor I would think as they dry.  and no worries about freezer power outages!! Thanks for the warning on the humidity and shrinkage.     The plunger pitter sounds  easy and inexpensive.

Thanks again, I will let you know if I have any breakthroughs with the frozen cherries. But I think they are heading out the door to the compost bin.
Dianne

---