nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Hardwood Ash

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Hardwood Ash
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:55:10 -0600

Scott Williamson asked:
>>Does using the ashes on the driveway actually melt the snow or just provide
>>traction?

It helps melt snow because of its dark color--it warms up, melting ice or
snow, when the sun shines on it. Ashes don't change the melting point of the
ice like salt etc. does, it also doesn't adversly affect concrete or plants
like salt, either. It also provides traction. In the winter, I usually keep
a 5 gallon metal pail of ashes near the door to use when someone gets stuck
on our ice driveway. I use a little bit of chemical de-icer (maybe calcium
chloride) on the steps at the entryway if needed because ashes can be so
messy when tracked into the house.

Jim, in Menomonie, WI

<<winmail.dat>>