nafex - [NAFEX] Elderberries, midwest species.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Elderberries, midwest species.
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:31:30 EST

In a message dated 12/2/2004 3:15:47 PM US Eastern Standard Time, brucedhansen@sbcglobal.net writes:

Elderberries will make you a tad sick if you eat them raw. It can be a
revolting experience. The jelly, however, is out of this world.

My favorite jam is elderberry. As a kid I used to ride my bicycle around the country roads to collect the fruit for Mother that she could make it. Dad didn't allow much in the way of bushes that wasted farm space. Even strawberries, he said, could be purchased cheaper than he could raise them. We planted commercial tomatoes which was the best cash crop in our area, south of Ft. Wayne, IN.  Usually between 10 & 15 acres annually. I've spent many hours hoeing weeds in the tomatoe fields as a kid.

Two postings said the barries made them slightly ill. Because they have so many small seeds I never ate many raw ones so never experienced discomfort from them. We did make tea from elderberry flowers with no ill effects. In fact I still like it. Simply pick the flowers, set them out to dry. Remove from stems and brew.

White Owl Winery, I believe, has made elderberry wine commercially. Ever had the liqueur made from elderberries, Sambuc? Purported to stimulate the sex drives.

Jerry

  • [NAFEX] Elderberries, midwest species., Jwlehman, 12/03/2004