nafex - Re: [NAFEX] walnut pollination

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] walnut pollination
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:12:32 -0600

Mark,
I've got minimal experience with J.ailantifolia or J.regia, though I do have a few seedlings of each - and a few grafted selections, as well, but none have fruited yet.
In my own experience, J.nigra seedlings will usually come into bearing, if planted in decent soil, within 7-10 years - grafted specimens in 3-5. I would suspect that you'd not have to wait longer for these seedlings to come into bearing than with seedling J.nigra. As Lon indicated, some selection for precocious flowering has been made with J.regia - Gordon Nofs has a strain that frequently flowers the first year or two from seed.

If you've got an inclination toward trying your hand at grafting 'em, you could always use your seedlings as rootstock for known, quality named cultivars.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY