nafex - [NAFEX] walnut pollination

  • From: Mark_Bugaieski@rlicorp.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] walnut pollination
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:28:33 -0600

I've got a "nut" question that I'm guessing a fruit expert can answer....

Having limited acreage, I tend to stick with native species (black walnut,
butternut), but am interested in planting Japanese and English walnut. My
question is will I need to plant two of each of these, or are they
self-fertile and/or will pollinate with the native trees I've planted? In
addition, I've planted some seedlings of these (Japanese and English), but
have now come across grafted varieties. I'm guessing if I want to see nuts
in my lifetime, I should pull the seedlings and replace with grafted?

Thanks!

Mark