nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Weeder

  • From: Del Stubbs <northernlights2n@yahoo.com>
  • To: breen@fedcoseeds.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Weeder
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 16:42:46 -0800 (PST)

Do consider a quality weed whip, the kind with 2 handles and a harness. I got
a Stihl
some years ago and it is a primary tool in my fruit growing. To plant a tree
I use it to
cut right down to bare soil, a 3' or 4' circle just takes a minute. I stress
bare soil
and not 1" grass stocks - It takes a lot longer for sod to recover when it is
cut down to
dirt. Secondly, if one is using some kind of weed blocker mulch - this is the
best way to
get it right down on the dirt. I use a gauge or 2 larger plastic string then
the model
calls for - with better results. It was a major investment for me, around $
375 US.
To protect trees from 'weed whip disease' a bottomless coffee can works
great. Recycling
bins have lots of them. I mentioned the kind with 2 handles and a harness
because the low
budget ones can be quite exhausting to use for an extended period, and
probably lack the
power and rigid string to really cut down to sod.
Del

=====
Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com zone 3 N. MN