nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Flame War/Weeder

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Flame War/Weeder
  • Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 23:48:38 +0000

Bruce-- yes I think the last time I saw an A.M.Leonard's they listed a flame-weeder. I'm not sure that's what they called. Not sure what name to use to Google it either.

Heron-- Orchards used to get "prescribed burns" like we do prairies & grass seed fields now. I learned it was to control scab (by removing the innoculum-- fallen leaves), but burns also scew the ground-layer species. Not in one burn, but because of the annual or otherwise regular "disturbance", some have less advantage than others. I think if the fuel-- vegitation & mulch-- were removed from near trunks, no ill effects could be expected, except low branches too close to tall grasses/large fuel loads. Autumn burns are good, because fires are not so fierce-- sun is lower/weaker and relative humidity is lower & steadier than in the spring. Soil biota respond to the soil temperature, but because of the sun exposure after a burn rather than the slight & short heating from a burn. And burned areas get less heating from sun in autumn than in spring.

And please learn the local rules & regs re burns before you do anything!