nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple problem question

  • From: Bob Hartman <hartmansfruittrees@wport.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple problem question
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 17:34:28 -0800

Jim,

I see no one has answered your question so I will take a stab at it. I don't
know about the bumpy part but the pitted part could be what is known as
bitter pit. If at the pitted points underneath the skin it is brown that
would
be another indication that it is bitter pit. If the soil gets too acid
apples will sometimes get the bitter pit. Some varieties are more prone to
bitter pit. I noticed some bitter pit on some of my apples too and I am
correcting it by the addition of dolomite lime. One of my books says that it
is caused as a result of calcium deficiency within the fruit and may occur
even on calcium-rich soils. It says that in order to take up calcium, the
plant needs an adequate supply of moisture. If this is not available and the
tree does not get sufficient calcium, small areas of cells within the
developing fruit collapse and turn brown. Goodly amount of water and a good
mulch will also help prevent it.

I hope this helps your situation since Sweet Sixteen is one of my favorite
apples.

Bob Hartman
Western Washington