nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Paw paws in Iowa?

  • From: DocKW@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Paw paws in Iowa?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 08:06:20 EDT

Hi All;
I am in SW Connecticut Zone 5 and about 10 years ago planted some Paw Paw
seeds sent to me from a member in Illinois. They grew well and we now have
some beautiful fruit which are a delight and carefree as grown here in CT.
I could send you seeds which should be either stratified in your frig or
planted this fall in a good protected site.
You should grow 3 or 4 trees....as they are all seedlings you'll get
pollenation. A minimum of 2 trees will do it if they are compatible.( i
guess most
are). Plant all
the seeds and keep some spares in the nursery.

I'd recommend letting more that 2 trees grow as you know what with lawnmower
disease and other natural disasters you'd not want to end up with only one
tree.

write me offline if you want more info
regards
Karl Olson dockw@aol.com