nafex - [NAFEX] Paw paws in Iowa?

  • From: Mark_Bugaieski@rlicorp.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Paw paws in Iowa?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:20:03 -0500

Two thoughts, Dianne: 1) plant grafted trees whenever possible - more
expensive if you buy them, but will fruit much sooner (true for paw-paws,
persimmon, and nut trees - other advantages, too, for fruit trees), 2)
Nolin River Nut Tree Nursery (www.nolinnursery.com) is a great source for
paw-paw and persimmon (you might get the "nut tree bug" there, too). My
property was exactly as you describe in terms of nothing but "scrub" trees,
and it's been fun converting to fruit and nut trees.

I'm directly east of you in central IL, zone 5, and have paw-paws.

Message: 3