nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Paw paws in Iowa?

  • From: lee reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Paw paws in Iowa?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:45:12 -0400

On Oct 27, 2004, at 11:23 AM, Diane Porter wrote:

At last my husband and I have moved to a few acres in rural Iowa, with plenty of space to plant trees. There already are lots of trees, but they're mostly honey locusts and dying or doomed elms. It's a great opportunity to fulfil our dreams of paw paws, American persimmons, kiwis, mulberries, and more. We're not young, so our idea is, better get started!

Here's are  some of my questions.
Will paw paws grow in southeast Iowa's zone 5? YES
Do I need two varieties for pollination?YES
Can I start from seeds, or do I need to spring for the cost of started trees?GRAFTED TREES WOULD BE BEST: THEY BEAR SOONER THAN SEEDLINGS AND YOU ARE ASSURED OF BEST QUALITY FRUITS.
What is a good source for seeds and/or trees? I LIKE RAINTREE NURSERY, ONE GREEN WORLD, BURNT RIDGE, JOHN GORDON, AND NOLIN RIVER NUT TREE NURSERY.
I have grafted lots of apples, pears, and mulberries. Can I graft paw paw cultivars onto seedling paw paws? If so, is there a source for scion material? YES, YOU CAN GRAFT. JOHN GORDON IS ONE SOURCE OF SCIONS BUT I AM SURE THERE ARE OTHERS.
Any other suggestions from you Fruit Exporers? THE BOOK "UNCOMMON FRUITS FOR EVERY GARDEN" HAS WHOLE CHAPTERS ON PAWPAWS, PERSIMMONS, MULBERRIES, ETC.

Diane Porter
Fairfield, Iowa