nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Help me pick which fundraiser apples to buy

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Help me pick which fundraiser apples to buy
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:52:28 -0400

If fireblight is rampant, you might want to investigate the new Geneva series of rootstocks. They are beginning to become available. It's a bit of a gamble of course, as they don't have much track record, but they are all tested for fireblight resistance and productivity.

Of the apples you've mentioned, the only one that I've tried is Ashmead's kernal, and I've eaten it, not grown it. It may be the ugliest apple I've ever paid for - small, lumpy, heavily (but not evenly) russeted. It's also delicious and crunchy - I've planted a tree and plan to put in another next spring, since I can't find the fruit to buy. (One tree would be plenty, if it got enough sun. But I'm beginning to despair of the spot I put the first one in. . .But the soil there is rocky and there's no way the little tree is coming out again.)

Also, I suggest you consider some of the new apples, as well as antiques. "Spicy", "not mild" is unlikely to be available at your local farmstand any time soon, but there are a bunch of newer apples that are described that way. Some of the cox offspring, for instance. I can't comment on what will work in MD, though.

Ginda Fisher