nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Help me pick which fundraiser apples to buy

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Help me pick which fundraiser apples to buy
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:33:27 -0500

At 08:39 PM 10/19/2004 -0400, you wrote:
- I want a wide variety, in terms of color, flavor, texture, ripening date,
etc. Mostly dessert, but I'll include one dessert-quality crab, one sauce
and one cider apple, and at least one or two of them should be good for
cooking too. Hopefully all, even the cider apple, will be palatable out of
hand.
I'll vote for Centennial as the dessert-quality crab. Callaway is good, but it's really an ornamental type, with relatively large(1-1.5" max) fruit for an ornamental crab. Centennial has done well for me here in zone 6, as well as for my dad, down in AL on the zone 7/8 interface. Good fruit quality/taste, reasonable size - in the range of 2-2.5".

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY