nafex - [NAFEX] ideas, oh ideas!

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] ideas, oh ideas!
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:59:03 -0500

Well, a few here and there...Okay, I definitely think there is some value to
an
electronic format, at least for catalogueing the past and offering
compediums,
which I would definitely buy, I mean a complete set, beginning to end. Having
an
online space for pictures, with links listed in Pomona, or an online version,
is
not a bad idea, but I would never substitute the tech for the papyrus. Paper
will
last, digital format is to changeable, obselete, and degradable. I want to be
able
to read Pomona when I lose electricity during our winter blizzards.
But I think the concept of coming up with an advertising/fundraising item
that is
of interest to NON MEMBERS may be how we get more members and make money. The
exchange on PDF and etc, made me think about an idea I pitched a few years
ago: Is
there any obstacles to a searchable, cd version of the Apples of New York,
maybe
the whole set? I saw that I think the Minnesota Grape Growers, or someone had
done
the Grapes of New York. The old copies are becoming, well, older, and rarer,
and I
know this can be done. I looked into doing the whole project and asked a few
classy
tech designers I know, and they agreed easy as pie. Pears, Peaches, Cherries,
the
whole caboodle...or has this already been done and I am the only fool who
doesn't
know?
Here is the quandry I see: More people writing means more pages, means more
cost,
and more members means more copies printed and sent. I don't think membership
alone
will get financial solvency anytime soon. Many organizations use memberships
cover distances left by grants and endowments, as well as products sold, but
the
grants and endowments are a serious foundation element. This whole
conversation
makes me think a revised direction is in order.
I would hate to think that the only thing I have in common with the rest of
you on
line is fruit trees. There are lot of skilled hands here, and pens too. A
larger
discussion seems in order...is there any way this topic can be brought into
the
Pomona itself, and feedback solicited? This very type of Fast Moving Email
stuff
leaves the very Pomona we are speaking of in the dust. At this moment,
probably two
thirds of the membership doesn't even know this issue has come up.
Can we make a clear call to membership to be involved, raise funds, and
brainstorm?
I think there is a lot of sharing left in this organization.
Lastly, there is a lovely, tasty discovery I wrote about last fall. I named
the
apple Kiss of Shannon, and have since had taste tests with many fruit buffs
and
flavor hounds. The least stellar recommendation was: an excellent dessert
apple. I
will offer grafts for $18, and then shipping. The amount, minus rootstock
cost,
will be donated to NAFEX. I will also be rooting softwood cuttings of the
tree
(already met with success) and those will also be available, same charge. For
more
info, contact me off list. I will probably be only grafting standards, but
may be
budding smaller stock.
Lots said I know, bear with me,
Heron