nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pawpaws in the news

  • From: Lon Rombough <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pawpaws in the news
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:06:12 -0700

Pawpaw is also a common name of Carica papaya, the papaya of commerce. There are a number of species of it and it very well could grow in the jungles of India.

Bloom dates of ANY fruit aren't always going to be what the catalog says. In the South, the Mayhaw (for example) blooms in February. Here in Oregon it blooms in May, about with or just after apples, most years. 120 days could be enough if you have sufficient summer heat, especially warm nights. And if you never got a fruit, the tree and flowers are still very interesting. They are also slow growing enough that they will probably stay small (not over 20 feet tall) at least for a long time.
-Lon Rombough